Give these sweet little choux puffs a try. They’re filled with custard, chopped strawberries and homemade rhubarb jam and topped with whipped cream. If you need me to say more then you’re not meant to be here! Go do some online shopping or whatever.
4 T. unsalted butter
1 t. fine sugar
1 pinch of salt
1/2 c. water
heaping 1/4 c. of flour
- bring butter, sugar, salt and water to a rolling boil. Add the flour until a dough forms.
- While still on the heat, vigorously beat the batter for at least 2 minutes with a wooden spoon and then transfer to another bowl. Continue to beat for a few more minutes until the batter is no longer steaming.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time until fully incorporated. The mixture should be fall off the spoon in a V shape.
- Transfer dough to a piping bag and pipe 1-inch rounds about 1 inch apart from each other.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Once removed from the oven, poke the bottoms of the puffs with a fork to help release the steam. Let cool.
1/2 t. vanilla bean paste
2 1/2 c. whole milk
4 egg yolks
1/2 c. corn starch
1 c. sugar
- Over medium-high heat, bring the milk and vanilla to a simmer.
- In the meantime, combine the eggs, yolks, starch and sugar until smooth.
- Remove the milk from the heat and pour over egg mixture while whisking the whole time.
- Transfer the mixture back to the heat and stir until thickened. It might take some time. Be careful to stir the whole time so that the mixture doesn’t burn.
- Transfer to a clean bowl and chill until ready to use.
STRAWBERY RHUBARB JAM
1/4 c. chopped strawberries
1/4 c. chopped rhubarb
1/2 c. sugar
- Place sugar and fruit in a small saucepan and add a tiny splash of water. Cook on low-medium heat until thickened. Set aside to let cool.
- Combine half of the jam and half of the cream together and put in a piping bag with the straight nozzle attachment.
- Insert in the bottom of each puff and squeeze until the puff is full.
- Dollop whipped cream on top of each one, topping with a strawberry slice.