I would call this a bit of a recycled project because I made it my mission to use up ingredients from past posts. If you have leftover crust in the freezer from a pie you made last week, this is the way to go. Even if you don’t, you can start from scratch. A galette, which is just a flat round cake of pastry or bread, is simple and attractive. It has that homemade sitting on a country window sill to cool look about it that I love.
The mascarpone is the last bit left from the polenta cake and the marzipan is what was left after making the mini Battenburg cakes. It’s lemon flavored, but luckily, a compliment to the apples. I did make the crust from scratch, but I’ve done it just as good from leftover pie crusts I’ve kept in the freezer too.
1 c. ap flour
1/4 c. semolina flour
2 T. caster sugar
8 T. unsalted butter, very cold
1/2 t. sea salt
1/4 c. ice cold water
- In a food processor, pulse all the ingredients except the water until the butter has broken down into a crumb like texture with the dry ingredients.
- On the pulse function, slowly add the water until the dough forms a ball. You may not need all of the water.
- Dump onto floured surface, pat into a disk and chill for 30 minutes
APPLE FILLING & ASSEMBLY:
2 large granny smith apples, peeled and sliced
1 T. lemon juice
1 t. corn starch
1/4 t. salt
1/4 c. caster sugar
1 T. cubed cold butter
2 T. dark brown sugar
2 T. milk
caster sugar for sprinkling
1/2 c. or fist sized marzipan, softened
2 oz. mascarpone cheese
350 F / 180 C
- Mix apples with lemon juice, starch, caster sugar and butter. Set aside.
- Roll dough out on a floured surface into a 14 x 14″ circle.
- Roll the marzipan into a circle half the size and place in the center of the dough circle.
- Spread the mascarpone cheese on top of the marzipan disc.
- Assemble the apples into a flower shape or just pile them on top, whatever works!
- Sprinkle brown sugar on top.
- When finished, fold the dough that hangs beyond the marzipan over on top of the apple mound.
- Brush the pastry with milk and sprinkle with caster sugar.
- Bake for 50 minutes.