These meringues are the best alternative to coffee I’ve ever had. I don’t even like coffee. Dessert for breakfast, however, is another story. If it happens to be coffee flavored, I guess I’ll live.
They’re easy, quick and basic. On a day like today, I need basic. The energy boost isn’t half bad either.
ESPRESSO MERINGUES: makes 15-20 meringues
3 egg whites
1/8 t. salt
3/4 c. granulated sugar
1-2 T. instant espresso powder
- In a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, beat the whites and salt to stiff peaks. When you lift the whisk from the mixture it should keep it’s point.
- In a separate bowl, combine the sugar and espresso powder.
- Still whisking, gradually add the sugar mixture one tablespoon at a time until the mixture is stiff, fluffy and glossy. Spoon the mixture into a piping bag with desired tip.
- On a baking tray lined with parchment paper, pipe small/medium mounds. As you near the end, pull up quickly to get the little curl on top.
- Bake at 285 F / 140 C for 30-40 minutes or until they appear crispy on the outside. Depending on the size of them, you may need more or less time.