This is delicious. It’s a cold and rainy day and there’s nothing more perfect than a hot and cheesy dip on my plate right now. Let me talk you through some options before you make this.
Option 1: Eat it all by yourself and admit it to no one.
Option 2: Share and consequently suffer with silent regret as you watch it disappear by no hand of your own wishing that you would’ve just kept it your cheesy little secret.
The choice is yours. Sometimes less is more.
WHITE BEAN DIP: (makes 2-4 servings)
2 T. oil
2 T. butter
2 cloves garlic
1 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
2 T. flour
1 c. cream
1/4 ricotta or mascarpone cheese
1/4 c. fresh grated parmesan
1/4 t. dried mustard
pinch of nutmeg
2 big handfuls of fresh baby spinach
1/2 c. white beans (cooked or canned)
1/2 c. shredded mozzarella or provolone
- In a large pan melt butter and oil together on medium-low heat. Sauté the onion and garlic until fragrant. Add salt and pepper.
- Once onion soften add the flour to make a roux.
- Stir in the cream.
- Let simmer until it thickens to a sauce. Add the cheese, mustard and nutmeg.
- Add the spinach and beans and stir. Remove from heat when the spinach has reduced in size by half.
- Broil under the grill at 400 F / 200 C for 5-10 minutes depending on how dark you like your cheese to be. It should be bubbling.
- Serve with toasted bread, crackers, veggies, whatever!